The numbers are staggering.
- 1 out of 10 students that drops out of school does so because of bullying
- 160,000 children skip school every day to avoid being bullied
- 71% of kids report bullying at their school
According to author, speaker and recording artist Shannon Perry, there are a few things that parents can do:
- LISTEN – If your child tells you they’re being bullied, it’s vital that you hear what they have to say. Sometimes it’s teasing — and sometimes it’s not. Find out.
- PREPARE – If they’ve not run into a bully yet, chances are they will sooner or later. Talk with your kids on how to best prepare themselves for an encounter.
- ASK – Does your child’s school have an anti-bullying policy? What is it? Get it in writing.
Shannon wrote a book called The Overlooked Generation: Parenting Teens and Tweens in a Complicated Culture. It comes from a healthy, Christian perspective; listen as she goes more in-depth about the book – with a special focus on bullying.